Leo Messi’s crazy demands for his contract extension from 2020 have been leaked by El Mundo.
Here are the things the Argentine reportedly asked Josep Maria Bartomeu for.
- A contract for three more seasons, until 2023.
- A private box at Camp Nou for his and Luis Suarez’s family.
- A €10m bonus for the contract extension.
- A symbolic €10,000 release clause that would allow him to leave the club at any time.
- The wage cut (he agreed to one during the Covid pandemic) recovery with a 3 per cent interest rate.
- A private plane for the whole family during Christmas.
- Tax increase protection.
Bartomeu accepted all the demands except for the fourth one as he was not prepared to lower Messi’s release clause to such a small figure. Besides, the €10m bonus was conditional depending on whether Barca recover from the pandemic.
As a result, the negotiations were broken and Messi asked for an exit – remember that famous ‘burofax’ story of 2020?
These demands sound hilarious and too far-fetched. We still believe this was a way to kick Bartomeu out of the club at the time – Messi surely would not ask Joan Laporta for something like that in the summer of 2021.