Same as people dogs love food, especially for what we choose to eat. Most of times we chose to share our food with our beloved dog but not all foods are appropriate for our dog. We are sure that nobody wants his dog to have health problems. Be sure that your dog will never get access to the below foods. 10 dangerous foods for dogs. ( Via ASPCA )
Avocado leaves, fruit, contain a toxic principle known as persin. The Guatemalan variety seems to be the most problematic. It depends on the variety of avocado. Different varieties have different degrees of toxic potential.
Birds, rabbits or horses are very sensitive to avocados as they can have distress, congestion, fluid accumulation in their heart, and even death can be caused from avocados. Although it seems that dogs and cats do not have such bad effect to the toxic avocado. Many studies claim that ingestion of the pit may lead to obstruction in the gastrointestinal track, a situation that needs urgent medical care.
However, avocado is included in pet foods for nutritional benefits. We would not normally expected dangerous ingredients, like avocado, to our dog’s meals but a little dose may help them to their nutrition.
#2- Bread Dough
Bread dough made with live yeast which can be hazardous if ingested by dogs. When raw dough is swallowed, the warm, provides an ideal environment for yeasts to multiply, which result to an expanding mass of the dough in the stomach. Expansion of the stomach may cause a decrease of the blood flow which may lead to the death of tissue. In the other hand, the expanding may press on the diaphragm, resulting in difficulties with breathing. As the yeast multiplies it produces alcohols that can lead in alcohol intoxication. Dogs that are affected from bread dough may have distended abdomens and signs of coordination, disorientation, stupor and vomiting. In rare and extreme cases alcohol intoxication may cause coma or seizures that might lead to death. Dogs that have signs of mild or abdominal distention should be closely monitored by professionals.
Usually when we are on holidays, like Easter, Christmas or Halloween, the use of chocolate is very common but dogs can have access to chocolate any time. When our dogs come in touch with products that contain chocolate, such as, cookies, pies, brownies, cocoa many times there is a big possibility of chocolate intoxication. Caffeine and theobromine are chemicals that belong to the group of mathylxanthines.
The rule of thumb about chocolate is “the darker the chocolate is, the more dangerous it is.” The white chocolate had low levels of mathylxanthines which means that is low of toxins, whereas dark chocolate has high levels of mathylxanthines, especially dry cocoa. Depending on the type and the amount of the chocolate ingested, the signs that usually are detected may be, vomiting, increasing thirst, abdominal suffering and restlessness to severe agitation, muscle tremors, irregular heart rhythm, high temperature, seizure or death.
#4- Ethanol (or Ethyl Alcohol, Grain Alcohol or drinking alcohol)
Such humans same dogs are very sensitive to ethanol. Even ingesting a small amount of a product that contains alcohol can cause intoxication. Dogs can be exposed to alcohol by drinking beer, wine of mixed drinks with milk, alcohol- containing elixirs and syrups or raw yeast bread dough. Alcohol intoxication may cause vomiting, loss of coordination, disorientation and stupor. In extreme cases, coma, seizures and death may happen. Dogs that show signs of alcohol intoxication should be closely monitored by professionals.
#5- Grapes and Raisins
Grapes and Raisins are correlated with the development of kidney failure in dogs. However, the exact cause of kidney failure still is not so clear nor it is clear why some dogs are not affected to these fruits without any harm, when others develop threatening illnesses. Until scientists become sure about these toxic fruits the safest way to help our dog is to avoid feeding him grapes and raisins. Dogs that are affected from grape and raisins toxicosis usually have signs such vomiting, lethargy or diarrhea. As signs develop, dogs refuse to eat and they increase lethargy and dehydrate. Death may occur to kidney failure in three hours. In order to treat your dog, he should be cared from professional veterinarian.
Cultivated hops used brewing beer have been correlated with life threatening signs in dos that have been exposed. Both fresh and spent hops are used in poisoning dogs. Affected dogs may develop a high body temperature which damages the organ system. These dogs may have restless, muscles tremors and seizures. Professional are needed in order to save these dogs from death.
#7- Macadamia Nuts
Macadamia nut toxicosis is not fatal in dogs although it might cause very uncomfortable symptoms. Affected dogs may have weak legs, be in pain, have tremors or may develop a low grade fever. These dogs should be cared from veterinarians and may have fluid therapy and pain control.
#8- Moldy Foods
A big variety of molds grow on food. Some produce toxins called tremorgenic mycotoxins, can cause life threatening problems in exposed dogs. Still we are not sure about specific molds that are toxic so it would benefit to avoid mold in general, if you would not eat these neither should your dog. The signs to affected dogs are muscle tremors, total body tremor and in rare cases death may occur. However, they respond well to medical treatment.
#9- Onions and Garlic
All close members of the onion family contain compounds that can damage dogs’ red blood cells. A rule of thumb is “the stronger it is, the more toxic it is”. Garlic is more toxic than onions. If they are exposed to raw onions and garlic such, dehydrated onions, soup mix or garlic powder may have problems such toxicosis, weaknesses in movement or they may be tired. These dogs should be in the care of a veterinarian urgently.
#10- Gum and Sugar-free candy – Xylitol – Sweetener
Xylitol is used in sugar- free gum or generally sugar- free products. Xylitol can lead to low blood sugar levels. They may develop disorientation, seizures within 30 minutes of exposure to Xylitol products. All dogs that are exposed to these products should be cared by veterinarians urgently.