The legal profession is one of the largest in the world, with millions of lawyers practicing in every country. While the legal profession is a means of making a living, a law firm is the method by which that means is achieved, since a law firm is where lawyers work and exercise their legal and analytical talents in response to their client’s issue. As a result, just as doctors cannot coexist without hospitals, it is difficult for a lawyer to coexist without a legal practice. As a result, every lawyer aspires to own or work for a top legal company, and this article showcases the world’s top ten finest law firms.
1. Latham & Watkins LLP: Latham & Watkins Limited Liability Partnership is a law company based in Los Angeles, California, that was founded in 1934. It is now one of the largest law firms in the world, with offices in key financial, business, and regulatory centers across the world, including China, Hong Kong, Belgium, Singapore, France, Paris, Italy, and Germany, to name a few.
Over 3,000 employees and lawyers work for the firm, providing smart and inventive legal solutions to clients’ challenging commercial and legal problems. Latham continues to be a leader in real estate, finance, corporate, environmental, litigation, mergers and acquisitions, and intellectual property. Latham and Watkins LLP has been named IP Transaction Firm of the Year 2021, as well as the number one global M&A Legal Advisor of the Year, among a slew of other accolades.
2. Kirland & Ellis LLP: Kirland & Ellis is one of the world’s most successful law firms. It presently has over 100 years of experience in practice, employs over 2,900 lawyers, operates from over 15 offices across the world, and is the best law firm in the world in terms of revenue during the last few years.
Kirland & Ellis provides exceptional legal services to clients in the areas of private equity, mergers and acquisitions, complex corporate transactions, litigation, dispute resolution and arbitration, intellectual property, and restructuring, which is a business advisory and crisis skills to help clients navigate through the turmoil of situations involving financially troubled companies. Nike, Boeing, Facebook, KKR, Intel, Oaktree, Capital, Blackstone Group, and IBM are just a handful of their high-profile clients.
3) SKADDEN, ARPS, SLATE, MEAGHER, & FLOM LLP: Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flop LLP, also known as Skadden or Skadden arps, is a law firm based in New York City that was formed in 1948 by Marshall Skadden, John Slate, and Les Arps. Since then, the firm has grown to become one of the world’s greatest law companies.
Skadden remains one of the most profitable legal firms in the world, with top-tier competence in restructuring, capital markets, tax, intellectual property, real estate, commercial, securities, product liability, litigation, and mergers and acquisitions, among other areas of specialization. Skadden was named Law Firm of the Year in the Mergers and Acquisitions, Litigation, and Security Litigation categories in 2020.
4. Sullivan & Cromwell LP (S & C): Sullivan & Cromwell is a New York-based multinational law practice that was founded in 1870. Over its 130-year history, the company has continuously provided the best quality legal advice and representation to clients all over the world, and it has constantly led the development of many of the world’s business titans.
S & C has over 13 offices across the world, managing some of the world’s largest deals and litigation, and bringing in over $1 billion in annual income.
5. DLA Piper: DLA PIPER is a global law company with offices in more than 40 countries in North America, Asia, the Pacific, Europe, Africa, and the Middle East.
DLA PIPER was formed in 2005 by the merging of three legal firms: Gray Cray ware & freidenrich LLP, Piper Rudnick LLP, and DLA LLP, and it now has an annual turnover of approximately $3 billion.
DLA Piper is one of the few law firms dedicated to pro bono work, with an emphasis on children’s rights, access to justice, the rule of law, and supporting asylum seekers, refugees, and persons who are stateless. DLA PIPER has been selected the International Law Firm of the Year at Russia Venture Capital Awards for the 5th consecutive year due to its commitment to providing legal services in the required sector as well as pro bono services. Among other accolades, it has been crowned the greatest law company in France.
6. Dentos: Dentos is an international law business with a decentralized headquarters that is today one of the largest law companies in the world, with over 11,000 lawyers and 189 offices spread over 77 countries.
Dentos is also the fourth finest law firm in terms of revenue, and it has consistently ranked in the top ten mix of law firms for several years.
7. White and case: White and Case is a global law company founded in 1901 that is well positioned to assist clients around the world with their most difficult legal challenges, no matter where they are.
White & Case LLP is well-known for its experience in handling cross-border and multi-jurisdictional cases and transactions, as well as its track record and extensive experience in global M&A, finance, arbitration, financial restructuring, insolvency, and, most importantly, its summer program, as it is the world’s number one law firm in summer programs, particularly its virtual internship for millions of law students around the world.
8. Sidley Austin LLP: Sidley Austin LLP, formerly known as Sidley Austin brown & wood LLP, is a law firm that was founded in 1966 and was formed in 2001 as a result of the merging of two prior firms.
Sidley is made up of a diverse collection of legal professionals from a variety of cultures who are committed to teamwork, collaboration, and providing exceptional client service. Sidley has a lengthy list of notable clients in industries such as banking, energy, health care, insurance, life sciences, and technology, and it has earned a reputation for successfully representing clients in complex transactional regulatory and litigation cases across numerous areas of law.
Sidley Austin presently employs over 1,900 lawyers in over 20 countries and earns a staggering $2.34 billion in revenue.
9. Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP: This is one of the most prestigious law companies in the United States, having been established in 1819 and spanning over two centuries. Corporate, litigation, banking and financial services, tax, executive compensation, and trusts and estates are Cravath’s core practice areas.
Cravath is one of the world’s premier law firms in these fields, with more than a third of its customers headquartered outside the United States.
10. Davis Polk & WardWell LLP: Davis Polk is a global law practice that was formed in 1849. Throughout its 171-year history, it has consistently been named among the greatest law firms in the world. Capital Markets, Corporate and M&A, Litigation, tax, financial services regulation, investment management, and banking are all areas where Davis Polk excels.
It is one of the greatest firms in the banking and financial sector of law, having handled a significant number of the world’s most complicated securities lawsuits and been named Banking and Finance Law Firm of the Year in 2019.