The Argentine striker is considered by many the best footballer in history. Lionel Messi has scored over 700 goals and provided more than 300 assists. He has also left many dumbfounded with his incredible moves and magical touches. This article highlights the 15 times Lionel Messi surprised the football world with his brilliance.
The former Barcelona star has seven Ballon d’Or titles and 41 trophies as of September 2022. He is the second-most decorated footballer in history after Dani Alves (42). His records, dazzling skills, and vision speak for themselves.
Times Lionel Messi shocked the world
Football has produced many great talents, but there are things only Messi can do. Refresh your mind with some of the historic times Lionel Messi impressed the world.
15. Hat-trick vs Real Madrid, La Liga (10 March 2007)
14. Solo ‘Maradona’ goal vs Getafe, Copa del Rey semi-final (18 April 2007)
13. Header vs Manchester United, Champions League final (27 May 2009)
12. Incredible goal vs Zaragoza, La Liga (22 March 2010)
11. Four goals vs Arsenal, Champions League quarter-final 2nd leg (6 April 2010)
Messi produced a historical performance in Champions League history by scoring four against Arsenal. The Gunners took an early lead in Camp Nou, but Leo responded with four goals to earn Pep Guardiola’s side a 4-1 win. He even earned praise from Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger.
“He made the impossible possible. He has six or seven years in front of him, touch wood that nothing happens to him, and he can reach unbelievable levels.” said the Arsenal manager.
10. Solo goal vs Real Madrid, Champions League SF 1st Leg (26 April 2011)
9. Five goals vs Bayer Leverkusen, Champions League last 16 (7 March 2012)
Messi is the first player to score five goals in a single match in the Champions League era. He bagged five against Bayer Leverkusen in the second leg of their Champions League last-16 tie, helping Barca qualify to the quarters. Only Leo and Luiz Adriano (Shakhtar) have managed five goals in a single UCL match.
8. Incredible goal vs Bayern Munich, Champions League semi-final (6 May 2015)
7. Solo goal vs Athletic Bilbao, Copa del Rey final (30 May 2015)
6. Last-minute goal vs Real Madrid, La Liga (23 April 2017)
5. Hat-trick vs Ecuador, FIFA World Cup qualifier (11 October 2017)
4. Superb vs Nigeria, 2018 FIFA World Cup Group D (26 June 2018)
Once again, Argentina needed a savior to avoid getting eliminated in the World Cup group stage, and it was Leo again who stood out. The PSG striker opened the scorers with one of the greatest ever World Cup goals against Nigeria. He later set up the second in their 2-1 win to seal a spot in the round 16.
3. Iconic free-kick vs Liverpool, UEFA Champions League SF 2nd leg (1 May 2019)
2. First PSG goal vs Manchester City, Champions League group stage (28 September 2021)
Leo’s first goal for Paris-saint Germain came against a formidable opponent. He scored PSG’s second goal in a 2-0 win over Man City by burying his shot into the top corner.
- Bicycle goal vs Clermont, League One (6 August 2022)
Source: Sports Brief News