Siberian Huskies are unlike other dog breeds when it comes to eating. If you have a Husky dog you will understand that. Huskies eat little amounts of food compared to their body size. Their metabolism is very high, and a little bit of food usually is enough for a long time. Other dog breeds like Labradors, Pit bull, or Rottweilers will usually eat as much as you give them to, often to the point of even becoming sick from eating too much. A Husky will never eat to that much point no matter what. They are very careful in what they eat, and how much they eat.
Since Huskies are very careful with their food, they try to maintain a body weight. Having a strong body allows them to run, and have an active lifestyle. Here are some habits Huskies have about food:
- If a Husky is full, it will not eat.
- The more Huskies exercise, the more they want to eat.
- If a Husky has been inactive, it will eat much less food than before.
- If a Husky is inactive and eats a lot, it will became fat faster.
- If Huskies became fat, it is very difficult for them to loose weight.
Having a childish personality makes Huskies also act like children when it comes to food. Huskies have very individual personalities, and are notoriously headstrong; if they don’t like a food, they won’t eat it. If for some reason something puts a Husky off a certain food, they would probably not go back to it for a long time, or maybe never. Here are a few reasons why a Husky would quit on some kind of foods:
- Getting bored eating the same thing for a long time.
- Individual taste (they might not like the color of the veggies)
- If a Husky feels sick after eating a certain type of food, they would not go back to it again.
If you want your Husky to eat healthy, and not get bored from the foods you are feeding them; follow these steps:
- Do not leave food out for a long period of time.
- Try to feed your Husky with at least three kind of foods on rotation.
- Add different vegetables, or meats to your Huskies food while leaving the base the same.
- Mix different ingredients in order to keep your dog interested in the food you serve.
- If you decide to change your dog’s diet, keep in mind to do this slowly because they have to adopt to their new lifestyle.
To conclude i would like to add that Huskies are by nature dogs that get bored very easily. Sometimes it is very difficult to keep them pleased when it comes to food diet. They are used to eat a little, but they want to have different kinds of food rich on nutrition. There have been many ongoing debates whether Huskies should eat homemade vs commercial food; raw vs cooked; bones vs non bones and so on. We could go on and on but there are a few foods that your dog should not eat for sure:
- Not to much diary
- Cooked bones
- Raisins, grapes, prunes etc
- No foods that contain sugar